Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Mourning the loss....

Mid Oct 2008 - Nov 16, 2008
It is with a deep sigh that I post that Caty the Caterpillar Ciha is no longer with us. It was a sad day for all.

Cristina found Caty one afternoon while playing with a neighbor girl and Victoria. The three of them came running inside shrieking! So, I let them put Caty in our bug catcher. I didn't think we'd keep her. Yet, each day we were all amused by watching her get around the leaves and sticks we had in the cage. The girls would take turns trying to find fresh grass and leaves for her to eat.

Michael and I are not real 'pet' people despite his computer ID of CihaPet on most sites. I think the main problem is that he is a cat person and I'm a dog person. Regardless, neither one of us is willing to take on the responsibility and cost of a pet.

The girls would talk to her and stare at her every day. They even put a little skateboard for her to ride in her cage. Cristina even had the opportunity to take her to school last Friday. She was part of her show & tell. I think venturing outside to the first grade class was too much for her though. After that she didn't look so good. By Sunday night we knew she was gone. Cristina seemed ok at first until we buried her outside by our tree. Then she really lost it! Poor thing. I admit I even got a bit teary eyed myself.

So, goodbye Caty! As Cristina said (a day later) "Well now she is part of the dirt. She'll have more fun in there." I'm not sure about that but at least Cristina isn't bawling anymore!

2 comments:

CihaPet said...

Yeah, what little we did learn about caterpillars was a little too late for any good unfortunately...
But this was our first run with anything one might classify as an 'exotic pet'...

Prachar family said...

I can't stand it! Pictures of your girls and the pet...you are getting really good at this! I LOVE IT! So sorry about Caty...God rest her soul...