Thursday, November 6, 2008

Great Nani

People often ask me what I do. I work at Lemstone, I volunteer at Heritage Christian School, I am involved in MOPS. Yet, one of my primary jobs is to take care of Michael's grandmother (Great Nani). We go to K-mart, Wal-Mart, Target and Hy-Vee quite a bit. She is always quite generous and will take us out to eat in return. However, it began as a duty and something I felt I had to do because nobody else was available. When I first met her I doubt she liked me very much. The comments she made were not very flattering. It was difficult for me to be around her. Yet God is amazing because he has turned this into such a blessing for me and the girls. Not many children have a relationship with their great grandmother!





This is the girls at her house dressed up as Princesses for Halloween.




Obviously at times it is a bit exhausting yet the rewards are amazing. She has incredible stories to share of how things used to be in the good ole days. It makes me laugh whenever I ask her about when she dated. Sometimes she'll even blush as she recalls community dances and events. She gets a somewhat dreamy look in her eyes as if she can almost see the people she is describing. I think she enjoys telling me the same story over and over again. I don't mind because I love hearing about Michael's family.




This was taken at the Naibi Zoo in Moline, IL this past summer.




I wanted to post these pictures so that I can remember why I do what I do. It isn't always easy or convenient but it is always worth it! As a matter of fact, today I took her to McDonald's for breakfast. Since it was POURING rain she didn't want to get out of the car. Instead of getting frustrated we ate in the car. I wish I had a picture of that too! It was rather comical. I am glad we were able to finish my errands without getting soaked.

2 comments:

sweetander said...

Before my grandma passed away the kids and I would visit quite a bit, and I really miss it. I used to take care of older people A LOT as a nurses aide and as a social worker at Elder Services. Now I spend the majority of my time with people 4 & under! I really miss the passion I used to have for older people, and something I hope to pick up again someday:) I'm sure it's such a blessing for Great Nani to have you and the girls!!

Prachar family said...

These are the memories you and your kids will treasure for years to come! You are teaching the girls somthing so valuable in caring for her in a loving way and being the hands and feet of Jesus!