Friday, January 15, 2010

May I Have This Dance?

About 15 years ago (maybe longer) every Friday and Saturday night was spent out on the dance floor. My friends, Dana, Kim and I would have many drinks and many dances. It was a wild time! I don't miss the drinking but I miss the excitement of being out on the dance floor. I used to have great rhythm!

Tonight that passion was rekindled in a strange way. I went to the gym to workout and found ladies gathering for a Zumba class. I peeked in on a class last week and thought "I'd never do that!" I was immediately confronted with my feelings of inadequacy and feeling left out. The same old song playing in my head "You aren't good enough. You aren't able to do it. You'll look stupid. Everyone will laugh at you. They won't want you in the class with them". ARGH! I had to take a deep breath and started talking to one of the ladies in the class. Krista was very encouraging and she introduced me to some other gals. Soon the five of them were encouraging me and before I knew it I was meeting the instructor. My head was swimming and I don't remember his name. He told me to just take it easy and do the best that I could. He would provide options throughout the dances for beginners.

I wish I could say that my confidence level was high and I danced my heart out. Well, I stood in the back row and just focused on my breathing. My heart rate was high before the music even started! Once the Latin beat began I decided to just have fun. Of course watching myself in the HUGE mirror made that a bit difficult! I was surprised to find myself keeping up with some of the steps. I was also surprised because many of the other ladies couldn't keep up with everything either but they were having fun. As the instructor kept telling us were were 'hot mamas' and the laughter roared it was so much easier. As the hour flew by I realized I am a lot stronger than I give myself credit. I sweat and I'm very sore but I DID IT!

3 comments:

CihaPet said...

Dear heart, you are MUCH stronger than you give yourself credit for.
It is always so much harder to see the strengths we have when focused on the minor flaws.
I'm proud of you, baby!
Love you!

Anonymous said...

Good for you for getting out there and trying something you did not think you could do! Courage, Marcie, the hallmark of the girl with the stout heart. :)

Prachar family said...

Sounds like fun! Wish I could do that with you! I have been trying to make it to that class here too, but hasn't worked out yet...I feel the same way you did!