Thursday, January 7, 2010

I don't wanna!

"I don't wanna!" Those were the words Victoria cried out to me when she didn't want to review her spelling words. The freshly fallen snow was calling her name. I tried to convey to her that if we got her work done quickly then she'd have the rest of the day to play. She was only focusing on what she was missing out on and the work load in front of her. I admit that I was beginning to get frustrated. I was also sad because she was sad. However, I realized that life is full of things we have to do that aren't always fun. We can't always avoid things but we can control our attitude.

I got to thinking about my health journey. I really don't like going to the gym. I don't like exercising. I don't like sharing in a public forum. I don't like counting calories and measuring my food intake. Was this going to be my life forever? Just like Victoria had to review her spelling words when she didn't want to I also have things to do that I don't want to do. Is it going to be forever? In her case it took just 20 minutes. If I adjust my attitude it won't feel like forever in the negative way. In time my body will begin to crave the healthier things. I can't see that right now but I don't have to see it to believe it. (Hmm...that sounds like a Bible verse!) It only seems like forever because my goal seems unattainable. As my coach, Peg, suggested I need to work on long AND short term goals. I need to be able to see progress or I will get discouraged. I have a few things in mind but the immediate goal is to get a journal. I have to write down my goals and set a target date. When I used to sell Tupperware one of the mottos was "a goal without a date is just a dream." I don't want to dream about a healthy life I want to LIVE a healthy life.

For those that are curious right now I weight 224.8 lbs :) Over the holidays I got rid of 5 lbs! I dropped 2 inches off of my waist. My tight jeans are no longer tight anymore. My next goal is to be out of the 220's by my mother's birthday on January 28th. Keep praying because it is obviously working!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marcie,

Think of it this way:

If things like monitoring your food intake are lifelong things for you, then so will your trim and even more beautiful self be a lifelong thing for you.