Saturday, January 17, 2009

Nuggets 8 Other Team 20

Well, Victoria had her first basketball game today. I have no idea what the name of the other team is but they were really good. I think our team was just too nice and not nearly as aggressive in getting the ball. I'm sure the coaches will work on that with the players before the next game.

Prior to the game Victoria wanted to know what order she'd be introduced. At first I had no clue what she talking about. Then I realized she thought it would be just like when we go see the IA Hawkeye Women Basketball team. Each players is introduced to the crowd. She was a bit disappointed that it wouldn't be like that at all. Nobody would sing the Star Spangled Banner and Herky wouldn't be there. She was content at the end when she got Gatorade!

Despite the loss she really impressed me. She kept her eye on the ball most of the time. Plus the fierce look in her eyes when playing defense would scare anyone! She kept her arms up and listened to her coaches. She even got hit in the face when she tried to get the rebound. As a mom I gasped but didn't embarrass her. The lady next to me gasped too! The most memorable moment was the one basket she made. It was beautiful! A man next to me called it a rainbow shot. It had a perfect arch as it sunk into the net.

They had 2 referees, 4 coaches, and 5 players from each team on the half court. The coaches literally coached the whole time during the game. They played for 10 min before changing the line up. Everyone got a chance to play. The game lasted almost an hour. A few players were caught traveling (imagine that) but all in all it was a well played game. One boy ran with the ball as if it were a football. They had to call him back a few times. Everyone once in a while Victoria would blow a kiss in my direction. Too cute!

Next week we get to do it all again and Victoria can't wait! Go Nuggets!

(I hope to have pictures next week. Michael had to use our camera for work and he gave me permission to blame him.)

1 comment:

Prachar family said...

Atta girls, get 'em next time Nuggets! I love pee wee basketball. Such entertainment value! Can't wait for pictures!!