Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sweet 7!

As Cristina turns 7 years old it is impossible not to look back and reflect. The tears easily flow as I'm flooded with memories. She finds it amusing that I cry so much as she is so busy celebrating. I can't celebrate without taking time to thank God. Cristina is my miracle baby! (Yes I know she isn't a baby. She is quite vocal with her reminders) I was told by a few doctors that I'd never get pregnant. I had what they called "unexplained infertility". It was a frustrating and heart crushing diagnosis. Ever since I was a kid my only goal in life was to be a mom. I didn't have high aspirations for a grand career. So, with one diagnosis I thought that dream was crushed! Yet God knew better!!!

I will never forget the day that I found out I was pregnant! My parents happened to be visiting from MD at the time. Michael and I were celebrating our 5 year anniversary. Victoria was 4 months old in our foster care. One night we went out to Bennigan's and the food smell was so foul to me I could barely sit through dinner. My father made a comment "Hmph! You are probably pregnant and don't even know it!" I just rolled my eyes as my heart felt another pin prick.

I decided to get a home pregnancy test which I would take the following morning. On Wednesday September 5, 2001 I woke up at about 3 am. The thought of taking yet another negative pregnancy test was haunting me. Angrily I got up! I decided I would take the test, it would be negative, I'd cry (again!) and then I'd go back to bed. Well for those of you that have taken a pregnancy test with a negative result all you do is wait and wait and wait. The color on the stick never changes. You keep hoping and hoping something will happen but it never changes. I was shocked when the color CHANGED! I almost dropped the stick. Then I fumbled around looking for the directions because I wasn't 100% sure what I was reading. It couldn't be positive, right? Did I dare have hope? Did I dare trust God? Would I allow my heart to be vulnerable like that or would I shrink back?

I don't remember much else of that morning. Somehow I made it to work at Heritage Christian School. As a school secretary I had a lot of paperwork and phone calls to answer. I doubt I was much help to anyone that morning. I was bouncing off of the walls! Finally I couldn't stand it anymore and I asked the school principal, Mike Peters, for the rest of the day off. I clearly remember sitting in Mike's office on the brink of tears. He asked me what was wrong and I blurted out "I took a home pregnancy test and I think I might be pregnant and I want to go to the doctor and blah blah blah" He took one look at me and smiled as he said "Go!" Oh and by the way I hadn't even told my husband yet! I had to rush over to the ObyGyn's office. I had to have a medical professional confirmed what I feared/hoped to believe!

Needless to say the doctor was able to confirm what my heart was so afraid to believe. I sat in this small room crying and crying. One of the nurses stayed with me as everyone nearby was shouting for joy. Nobody could believe what God had done. He had shown Himself mighty and strong on my behalf. I honestly had no idea how I got home.

Later that night I sat my parents and Michael on the couch to tell them the good news. Since it was our anniversary I had the idea to have the nurse wrap the pregnancy test with the positive result showing. As Michael unwrapped the gift I sat off to the side holding the video camera. I couldn't wait to hear the screaming for joy. It NEVER occurred to me that my parents would not have any idea what that 'stick' was for and that is why I never got the screaming reaction I wanted. Michael didn't scream because he was in complete shock! So, the video isn't too exciting but it is funny!

In the blink of an eye seven years have flown by me. Cristina is a smart, active, funny and creative girl. She amazes me every day. She can be stubborn and strong willed at times. She challenges me in the ways that I discipline and love. I've been told by my family that she is exactly like me and that is why we tend to butt heads a lot. Currently her favorite activities are basketball, soccer, puzzles, drawing, math drills, and reading. One of my favorite activities to do with her is when I lay in bed and she reads to me. She is very expressive and is learning to change voices with the various characters. I'm continuously amazed and so thankful for my little girl. NO matter how old she gets she will always be my baby!

1 comment:

CihaPet said...

She is such a CUTIE!
Yes, I know... I'm biased in my opinion.
So WHAT?! :-)